I get a lot of questions about what gear I use, so I decided to make a gear list. As a wedding photographer in Asheville, these items are must-haves in my gear bag. Okay, some of them are not must-haves, but they make my photography much more interesting! Plus, I geek out on new gear. Anyway, here is my gear list:
- Canon 5D Mark III. This is my primary body. I am in love with this camera! Incredible in low light, extra auto focus points, and stores photos on 2 separate cards. The best!)
- Canon 5D Mark II. Awesome camera. Enough said.
- Canon 16-35 mm f/2.8. I use this for wide-angle shots mostly, unless I'm shooting it right at 35 mm.
- Canon 24-70 mm f/2.8. This is my primary lens and it's a workhorse! I love this lens. If I could only have one lens in my gear bag, this is it.
- Canon 70-200 mm f/2.8. This is an incredible telephoto lens with image stabilization. It's awesome for low light, especially in dark churches. The IS allows me to shoot at a pretty low shutter speed without blur. This actually might be my favorite lens. But don't tell the 24-70!
- Canon 50 mm f/1.8. This is the Nifty Fifty, a must-have for any photographer.
- Canon 100 mm macro f/2.8. This lens takes brilliant macro shots. I use this for small stuff (rings, flowers, dress details, etc.)
- Paul C. Buff Einstein Strobe. This is a strobe I can take anywhere. I use this when flash power is not enough. I love using this strobe for dramatic outdoor shots mostly.
- Canon 580EXII. A classic flash for Canon users. Super reliable, super great.
- LumoPro LP180. This manual flash is a beast. I use this mainly off-camera.
- Pocket Wizard MC2 Receiver. This is the receiver for the Einstein.
- Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 Transceiver. I use this receiver on my flashes.
- Pocket Wizard Mini TT1 Transmitter. This transmitter is on my camera at almost all times. I can switch between my flashes and strobes at any time with this transmitter. It's super small and lightweight. I love it.
- ExpoDisc 2.0. A life saver. This is what I use instead of a white card to get a proper white balance. This saves me HOURS in post production and ensures I get the richest of color. One of the best investments in my gear bag (and it's only $50!)
- MagMod Light Diffusers
- Manfrotto Tripod
- SanDisk Extreme Pro Compact Flash Cards (most 16 GB)
- Black Rapid Curve Strap
- Canon E2 Hand Strap
- Pelican 1510 Carry-On Case
- Various Umbrellas, Soft Boxes, Diffusers
Want to chat about this? Comment below or shoot me an email. I love talking gear!